Spurs Insider Podcast, 2026-09-16 04:14:00
专栏作家迈克·芬格 (Mike Finger) 与随队记者杰夫·麦克唐纳 (Jeff McDonald) 和汤姆·奥斯本 (Tom Orsborn) 探讨马刺即将在两周后开启训练营时最值得关注的话题,包括:谁该首发?托拜厄斯·哈里斯还是朱利安·尚帕尼?迪伦·哈珀还是达龙·福克斯?
推荐阅读:
以下是播客文字实录:
[music]
迈克·芬格:从南得克萨斯遍布绝密地点的高度安保网络中传来,这里是《马刺内幕》,宁静归来特辑。我是迈克·芬格,与我同台的是《快报新闻》的马刺随队记者团队。回归的杰夫·麦克唐纳,以及一贯宁静、备受尊敬、休整完毕、整装待发的汤姆·奥斯本,时隔一个多月首次回归。汤姆,欢迎回到《马刺内幕》播客。你这个夏天过得怎么样?
汤姆·奥斯本:呃,不错,不错。呃,处理了一大堆无聊的汽车和房屋维修。
迈克·芬格:是吗?
汤姆·奥斯本:不过愉快的一面是,游了很多泳。
迈克·芬格:游泳?你又去游泳了。太好了。
汤姆·奥斯本:又游起来了,是的,是的。非常放松。呃,还读读书,看了很多《绝命毒师》和《风骚律师》。我正努力把整部剧都看完。哇。呃,所以是的,这个夏天过得很不错。很高兴回到你们身边。我绝不会拒绝和你们相聚的机会。[笑声]
迈克·芬格:嗯,[笑声] 上一期播客我收到了一点反馈,汤姆,我不确定你有没有看到,那期请到了尊贵的迈克尔·C·莱特 (Michael C. Wright),反馈是有些人希望汤姆当时也能在场,对迈克尔·C·莱特讲的一些故事插上几句。是啊。哦天哪。比如俄克拉荷马城的摄像师,还有更衣室里凯尔登·约翰逊为你挺身而出的时刻,呃,凯尔登·约翰逊倒是希望迈克尔·C·莱特能为你出头。呃,大家都很想念你。哇。
汤姆·奥斯本:说到那次风波,我得向我的同事杰夫·麦克唐纳致敬。嗯哼,那件事被提到了。他当时护着我。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:谢谢。终于,我当恶人的功劳得到认可了。[笑声]
迈克·芬格:没错。问题在于,正如迈克尔·C·莱特称呼你的那样,是他一直谈到你的宁静。而到去年六月中旬,汤姆,我们已经开始看到那份宁静出现了一些裂痕,你知道的,赛季太漫长了。你说过——我是说,我也是人,对吧?宁静出现了一些裂缝。不过,我很好奇,你所有的游泳——你在泳池里游圈,我知道你说过那是很好的疗法,对你这个老毛病缠身的人来说是很好的锻炼。是的。我想知道,你看文斯·吉利根宇宙的作品——《绝命毒师》和《风骚律师》,你的房屋维修,你和你爱妻的相处时光,是否为你的宁静电池重新充了电?是的。是的,我觉得已经充好了。当然,挑战会来的——这就是个过渡——媒体日。[笑声]
迈克·芬格:媒体日不到——好家伙,汤姆·奥斯本,已经进入赛季中期的状态了,过渡都用上了,已经完美地把我们引向今天的话题了。媒体日不到两周就要到了。这是我们卫冕西部冠军重新集结开启训练营前的最后一期《马刺内幕》。杰夫,今天上午你还没发表过看法呢。几周后训练营开始时,你最期待了解、提问、见证、观察什么?
杰夫·麦克唐纳:嗯,我想说的是媒体日是28号上午10点。我说得对吗?
迈克·芬格:我不——我觉得你不应该把这个对外公布。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:那我中午就会失去宁静。[笑声] 到媒体日中午,宁静就没了。
迈克·芬格:顺便说一句,我赌它更早。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:而且我要到八月才能找回它。整整一年,呃,整整11个月的宁静缺失,对于在下来说。
迈克·芬格:11个月?
杰夫·麦克唐纳:是啊,你知道,如果他们像去年那样走得那么远的话,马刺队。
迈克·芬格:嗯。你觉得第一天你会写些什么?
杰夫·麦克唐纳:第一天?[叹气] 呃,第一天我不知道。那那是——我不知道。天哪,你这是在逼我现在就填预算表吗?第一周,第一个月,随便哪段。我从那第一
迈克·芬格:宁静在媒体日前两周就已经没了。[笑声]
杰夫·麦克唐纳:嗯,我是说,我觉得很多时候,当你拥有一支像这支球队一样大部分都是新面孔的球队时,有趣的事情显然就是那些新东西。所以,第一周,那前几场季前赛,前几次训练,我想看看托拜厄斯·哈里斯是什么样子,他如何融入,他是否进入首发阵容?很可能是。那么因为托拜厄斯·哈里斯成为新首发,谁又不在首发阵容里了?还有,既然他们在那个位置有了一个不同的人、一个更高大的身材,马刺现在能打出什么新的花样和战术?你知道,四号位会有一些低位背身单打,一点点。不是那种四号位全沉底蒂姆·邓肯式的打法,但我觉得你现在有了一个具备身材和技术的球员,可以偶尔背打比自己矮小的防守者。而且他的三分球也不差。所以,我想看看这些新玩具如何运转。而今年,你唯一真正显眼的新玩具就是哈里斯先生。
迈克·芬格:汤姆,第一周你期待看到什么?
汤姆·奥斯本:嗯,你知道,媒体日上,无论文班说什么,[笑声] 无论他说什么或不说什么,那都会是新闻。嗯,没错。然后,当然是最明显的问题,杰夫已经提到了,首发阵容。福克斯的情况如何?哈珀的情况如何?你要如何划分他们的角色等等?这些是最突出的。
迈克·芬格:那个……
杰夫·麦克唐纳:我觉得会很有意思,因为,你知道,敲敲木头,我这么说可能会带来厄运,但你会迎来一个健康的达龙·福克斯进入——哦对。训练营,不像去年这个时候,他正遭受着相当严重的——或者说并不轻的腿筋伤势,那真的拖慢了他的——你知道,他完全没有参加训练营。他没有打季前赛。他错过了常规赛第一周左右的比赛,而且花了一段时间才找回状态。所以,如果健康的话,我会很有兴趣看到一个从赛季开始就完全健康的达龙·福克斯为这支球队打出什么表现。
汤姆·奥斯本:他一直在休斯敦组织训练,哈里斯、文班、巴恩斯都参加了。我觉得我们会看到一个斗志高昂的——不是说他平时不这样——一个斗志极其高昂的达龙·福克斯,去弥补,如果这个词用得对的话,人们在总决赛中对他产生的看法。
迈克·芬格:你们都抢在我前面了。当我为这期节目做规划时,你知道,用我的马克笔和磁贴,我的白板 [笑声] 每期播客前一晚我都熬夜规划。你知道,就像汤姆,就像文斯·吉利根在《风骚律师》和《绝命毒师》的编剧室里一样,他们有这么多不同的线索、情节和故事弧要处理。我规划《马刺内幕》就是这样。续集、前传,你知道的。我们会把拉罗引入进来吗?那总是很有趣。呃 [笑声] 昨天凌晨3点半,当我规划这期马刺内幕节目时,我以为高潮会是我们谈论达龙·福克斯,因为对我来说,那就是休赛期的核心议题。你有杰夫提到的新玩具托拜厄斯·哈里斯。你有永远存在的维克托·文班亚马,他永远都是话题。但从今年进入明年的整个休赛期,最主要的故事线就是达龙·福克斯。我要说的是,总决赛结束后不久有一期《马刺内幕》,我提出过一个想法,我承认达龙·福克斯很可能不会在这里履行完他的合同,如果有机会在这个休赛期快刀斩乱麻地处理掉那份合同,马刺是可以做到的。那没有发生。我觉得那从来都不是一个很大的可能性。那不是报道,只是我抛出的一个“如果呢”的假设。现在,我们知道那不会发生了,而作为一个曾抛出那种可能性的人,我想提出另一个想法:达龙·福克斯可以成为,我认为,即将到来的这个赛季的关键之一。他会留在队中。正如汤姆所说,他在休斯敦组织队友——没错。一起训练。他非常投入。他作为这支球队的领袖从未有过任何疑问,更衣室里的其他人都喜欢他。大家都指望他。而且正如米奇·约翰逊反复指出的,当马刺处于最佳状态、打出速度、效率达到最高时,那是因为达龙·福克斯。而他的NBA总决赛打得不好。其中有多少是因为伤病,我们不知道,但他有很多需要证明的。现在他回来了——我说“现在他回来了”,其实他一直都在。但现在所有人都清楚地知道他回来了,我的问题是:这个赛季对达龙·福克斯有多重要?你期待他打出一个怎样的赛季,杰夫?
杰夫·麦克唐纳:嗯,他——我是说,这不是——我在这里爆什么新闻,说他在后场面临着出场时间和球权的竞争。那两个年轻人,斯蒂芬·卡斯尔,尤其是迪伦·哈珀,正在崛起。所以,要挡住他们,他必须打出一个出色的赛季。而我觉得他会。我觉得他一直是个好球员。我觉得自从马刺交易来他之后,他一直是球队需要的一切。而且我想也许你去年某个时候说过,如果在交易截止日马刺做那笔达龙·福克斯交易的那一刻,有人告诉他们下个赛季他们会打进总决赛,他们会说这是一笔本垒打级别的、稳赢的交易。那笔交易让他们比想象中更快地得到了他们想要的东西。所以,我觉得在推动比赛节奏方面,他绝对是本赛季的关键,就是作为一个武器。我觉得如果你想——这在迪伦·哈珀到来之前也是如此——如果你期待达龙·福克斯打出他在萨克拉门托时的数据,当时他可以在一支烂队上随心所欲地刷分,那你就是看错方向了。你只需要指望他做出赢球的篮球选择,而他在大多数时候都做到了。我知道他总决赛打得很挣扎,总决赛里有一个回合恰恰是赢球选择的反面。那是个失误。从那以后,他可能因此承受了太多非议。我期待他打出一个重要的赛季。现在另一个问题是,如果你觉得他有可能——哪怕有一点点可能——在休赛期被交易,你确定他能打完整个赛季吗?会不会出现交易截止日的情况,他的名字被提起?这个问题我抛给你,因为是你在休赛期认为他至少有被摆上货架的遥远可能。
迈克·芬格:我还是要说,正如我一两个月前提到这个时所说的,我不认为这有多大可能。我没有听说马刺方面有任何——对。哪怕是烟雾。我不认为马刺有过任何关于交易达龙·福克斯的对话。但是,你知道,常规赛有多长,汤姆?我们知道那东西能拖多久。几个月又几个月。我们会经历多少不同的故事线?我经常举这个例子:去年11月和12月,我们还在说哈里森·巴恩斯是一个可以在这里待上很多年、作为首发阵容基石的球员,说他有多棒,然后几个月后,他在季后赛里几乎都没怎么上场。事情可以变化得很快,我觉得我不预期达龙·福克斯本赛季被交易。我不预期这方面会有任何对话,但赛季很长,如果阵容以某种方式展开,如果比赛以某种方式展开——比如说达龙·福克斯脚踝扭伤,或者有人受伤导致阵容变动——球队开始靠着哈珀和卡斯尔的组合蓬勃发展而福克斯没上场,然后我不知道,福克斯陷入低迷,我不知道。我想说的是,我不排除赛季中交易的可能性。但那真的会让我非常惊讶。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:回答一下我自己提的问题,我觉得只要赛季按计划进行,他们大杀四方,你知道,朝着60胜的节奏前进,是西部最好的球队之一,等等,那么到了交易截止日,我不认为他们会做任何调整。现在,如果赛季不按计划进行,如果出了大问题——可能,我不想说什么不吉利的话——比如维克托受伤,他们输掉一堆比赛,到二月情况不妙,那么也许那时你会看到这方面的讨论。是的。但我觉得他不会被交易,就因为迪伦·哈珀真的很出色。[笑声]
迈克·芬格:而且这也是一种在赛季中期很难完成的交易。嗯。因为,我是说,你不会只是把他甩到布鲁克林。没有人想在赛季中期接手一个年薪5000万的控卫,除非有明显的需求。所以,是的,是的,我对此表示怀疑。我还要说这一点,要像马刺去年那样打进NBA总决赛,你显然必须在季后赛打出好表现。但他们能走那么远的一个巨大原因是达龙·福克斯在70场比赛里打得如此出色。对。是的。要熬过又一个82场的赛季,我觉得——现在这套阵容就是这样——达龙·福克斯出战比如说70、72、75场比赛的存在感是巨大的。那就是你熬过整个赛季的方式,那就是你让自己占据主场优势、拿到好签位的方式。所以,一切最终都归结为一个季后赛、一个系列赛、一个回合,正如杰夫所说。人们就是这样评价达龙·福克斯去年的。如果你没有从达龙·福克斯那里得到那70场马刺打出精英级表现的比赛,你看看达龙·福克斯在场时的净效率值。他在防守端也不是负资产。人们是那么认为他的。他在防守端的——那叫什么来着?——胜利贡献值是正的。整个上赛季他在所有高阶数据中都是前50的球员。我觉得你需要他再次做到这一点,才能让自己处于冲击季后赛的位置。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:我是说,如果迪伦·哈珀不是那么出色,根本不会有人讨论马刺是否应该放弃达龙·福克斯,就是这样。所以,这真的只是如何解决让那三个好手——对。都得到足够出场时间和足够球权的问题,而这支球队还有维克托·文班亚马,他会占用大量球权。所以,这就是讨论出现的原因。你知道,这是我们用过很多次的老生常谈,但如果你是马刺,是米奇·约翰逊,是布莱恩·莱特,这是个幸福的烦恼。
汤姆·奥斯本:是的。他,你知道,回到上赛季常规赛,他非常出色。我是说,他在退居次要角色方面做得非常出色。他没有试图挡谁的路。他完美地履行了自己的角色。人们注意到了。我记得在迈阿密,我问埃里克·斯波尔斯特拉关于福克斯的事,他说:“天哪,那家伙——对。[笑声] 他今年的无私程度爆表,人们应该注意到这一点。”你知道,再说一次,他会非常有动力去弥补总决赛的表现。而且,如果他在这里的时间窗口很短,他会想尽一切办法去争夺那个总冠军。他不会再和文班以外的人打球了。那是肯定的。而且他有托拜厄斯·哈里斯。你知道,他们心态相同。一切都是为了赢得总冠军。所以我期待福克斯打出一个重要的赛季。这不一定体现在数据上,而是体现在角色上,我觉得他会非常出色。对。对,对。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:对。我们得停止用数据来衡量这些球员,而是看他们多么适应自己的角色、履行自己的角色。
汤姆·奥斯本:还有马刺,看看瓦塞尔去年做了什么,德文。你知道,他们有愿意退让、为球队利益打球的球员,去年奏效了,而他们今年必须更加渴望重返巅峰。是的。
迈克·芬格:让我问你这个问题,汤姆。你提到过,或者也许是杰夫提到的,托拜厄斯·哈里斯的加盟以及对阵容的影响。这对你来说更像一个哲学问题,或者说生活方式问题。你宁愿要哪个,汤姆?[轻笑] 一支刚打进NBA总决赛的球队的首发位置,还是一支刚打进NBA总决赛的球队的替补位置外加Dominion社区一套崭新的豪宅?
汤姆·奥斯本:好吧。[笑声] 我以为你要说哈里斯,现在你在说——不,我是在说哈里斯可能会在首发阵容中挤掉谁。朱利安,是的。
迈克·芬格:你有没有在看expressnews.com上我们关于购置新房的所有独家报道?是的,是的。
汤姆·奥斯本:还有机会去奥斯汀看长角牛队的比赛。
迈克·芬格:还有机会 [笑声] 朱利安·尚帕尼度过了一个不错的休赛期。那些激动人心的逆转。好吧,我是在开点玩笑,开点玩笑,但是……
汤姆·奥斯本:不,他会——对朱利安来说这是个不错的休赛期。他拿到了钱。朱利安会……
迈克·芬格:他有了新房子。他可以去看长角牛队的比赛,而不会像如今某些谈论长角牛比赛的人那样说出什么种族歧视的话。[笑声] 天哪。这是个积极面。呃,他可能会失去首发位置,但我想转到另一个球员、另一个话题,我觉得朱利安·尚帕尼是那种会继续——即使他已经拿到了钱,他赢得了很多尊重。联盟里现在都知道他了。我不预期如果他坐上替补席会成为一个问题。
汤姆·奥斯本:我会非常震惊,[笑声] 震惊,迈克·芬格,如果他没有说:“米奇,你们需要我做什么?比利·多诺万,你们需要我做什么?文班,你想让我做什么?”然后竭尽全力去做到。是的。我会非常震惊。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:他就是那种人。我也认为这源于他进入NBA的历程。你知道,他基本上是一个不久前在NBA还没有工作的人。他被费城裁掉,选秀落榜,被费城裁掉。马刺把他捡起来,给了他一次试训的机会,看看会怎样。所以,一个从那种经历走出来的人,会对得到的任何角色心怀感激。他确实心怀感激。是的。感激球队给他的任何角色。而且他拿到了钱,你知道。我觉得这也有帮助。但他是一个既首发过也打过替补的球员,有时甚至在同一个赛季里。有一年——我可能把年份搞混了——但他有一年是以首发身份结束赛季的,然后第二年赛季首月几乎没怎么打,最后又以首发身份结束了那个赛季。所以他经历过两个极端。他是一个能做到的人,知道那是什么滋味。而且因为他走过的路,他知道自己能在NBA打球是幸运的。他本可以做同样的一切,只是没得到机会。所以,当你那么心怀感激时,就很难抱怨。所以,我觉得如果朱利安·尚帕尼被放到替补席上,我们不会听到他——不会听到朱利安·尚帕尼任何负面的声音。
汤姆·奥斯本:他展现出了很高的成熟度。
迈克·芬格:我觉得那个起源故事里的关键一幕——你说的是他的历程——是在情人节那天被费城裁掉。情人节,没错。然后那天晚上还得带当时的女友出去吃饭,尽管他并不想去。是的。而这要归功于马刺,他们对他已经观察了很久,主动联系了他,给了他——是什么来着,那个赛季余下时间的双向合同名额?是的。一个重要的时刻。我不确定如果没有他,他们去年能走那么远,因为在大西部联盟的那些系列赛中,大前锋位置对马刺来说是个问题。而朱利安解决了那个问题。令人惊讶——他是个了不起的——我是说,你把他当作得分后卫,我仍然——如果你问我朱利安·尚帕尼的位置是什么,大概是得分后卫,也许我错了,但他是个了不起的篮板手和了不起的防守者。是的。而且单赛季三分命中数超过了马刺队史任何人。是的。
汤姆·奥斯本:在季后赛中没有退缩,你知道,在季后赛中有所提升。对,挺身而出。
迈克·芬格:我觉得,绝对是这样。我觉得这里的主题,无论我们谈论的是达龙·福克斯、朱利安·尚帕尼还是托拜厄斯·哈里斯,马刺要重现甚至超越去年的成绩,一个关键就是这些人继续拥抱米奇·约翰逊对他们的任何要求。而这可以是非常不同的方式。你不会对朱利安·尚帕尼提出和达龙·福克斯完全一样的要求。米奇·约翰逊去年反复强调的一点,尤其是在季后赛期间,就是在他看来,执教的关键之一是对阵容中的每一名球员都保持清晰的沟通。在训练营第一天、第五天、赛季第75场比赛的第70个早晨,都要让球员清楚地知道对他们的期望是什么。我觉得这将是这支球队再次成功的一个巨大关键,就是米奇·约翰逊和比利·多诺万,以及整个教练组上下,包括科利斯·威廉姆森,都要与球员保持那种清晰沟通:“好,达龙·福克斯,你回来了。我们有迪伦·哈珀。我们有斯蒂芬·卡斯尔。你身边有这么多球员。这正是我们要你做的事。朱利安·尚帕尼,这正是我们要你做的事。忘掉球迷对你的期望,忘掉你拿到的合同,这正是我们要你做的事。”杰夫,我觉得他们在签下托拜厄斯·哈里斯之前可能就已经和他有过这种清晰的沟通了。我不认为托拜厄斯·哈里斯来了之后会对他们的期望感到意外。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:我觉得这也是对那些球员去年接受所分配角色的肯定,因为NBA里每个人都认为自己应该打更多时间、得到更多出手、围绕自己设计更多战术。而在一支拥有维克托·文班亚马、前途无量的球队里,情况往往不是这样,你必须接受分配给你的角色,并竭尽全力去完成,无论是专注防守,还是抢篮板,还是做一个中距离投手、一个解压出球点。你沿着阵容名单看下去,那支球队里的每个人,被选中时可能都以为自己会有比实际更大的角色。德文·瓦塞尔,你知道,他被选中时是蒂姆·邓肯以来球队最高顺位,是个乐透秀。他是个可能成为未来球星的人。好吧,他没有成为那种意义上的球星,但他在自己的角色中成为了球星。而这就是你需要每个人做的。这也许是今年值得关注的一点:每个人是否都会保持同心?我没有任何理由认为有人会掉队。但是,当你在赢60场球、打进总决赛时,接受这一切是容易的。如果你对自己的角色不满意,而球队遇到坎坷或者输球,那时你可能就会心生不满。所以,你知道,[叹气] 关键就是,每个人能不能让这艘船保持正确的航向?每个人能不能保持正确的心态?我没有任何理由认为他们不会,但这就是所有球队都会发生的事情:当人们对自己的角色不满时,就可能成为问题。
汤姆·奥斯本:他们距离——在这个冠军窗口期,距离赢得总冠军如此之近,没有人会拒绝让球队变得更好的机会。是的。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:是的,我不预见——你知道,人们总想替迪伦·哈珀说话,或者替他着想,觉得“如果我是迪伦·哈珀,我会想首发。如果不让我首发我会生气。”但是——是的。感到失望、想首发,和依然像他去年那样做好替补角色是有区别的,今年他的情况也会类似。我期待他保持那种心态。
迈克·芬格:当然,同意。我觉得你之前说的才是问题所在,这不是我们在媒体日或训练营就能找到答案的问题,而是当坎坷来临、有人想打更多时间时会发生什么。对。对。就像我们两周前的嘉宾,迈克尔·C·莱特在espn.com上的报道所说的,不只是人们在替迪伦·哈珀这么想,而是他身边的人也期待他最终会首发。而问题在于,“最终”这个词什么时候会成为一个问题?[笑声] 你知道?我不预期他会在10月或11月进队就说“我需要首发”。问题是在1月下旬你连输四场,而迪伦·哈珀在那四场比赛里场均得到26分,而达龙·福克斯打得不好,或者德文·瓦塞尔打得不好,或者别的什么,然后会怎样?这就是米奇·约翰逊拿高薪的原因,也是那些教练拿高薪的原因,就是要解决这些问题。我们只能拭目以待。我们现在没有答案,马刺现在也没有答案,但是——还有什么你们期待的吗,在那个周一上午10点到中午、杰夫崩溃之前的短暂时间段里?[笑声]
杰夫·麦克唐纳:呃,顺便说一句,中午对我来说已经晚了。我觉得到11点01分,杰夫就会不耐烦,想回家了。可能是在去那边的路上堵车时——是的,我就会失去宁静。我是说,你见过那片城区现在的样子吗,到处都在施工什么的?我不知道有谁——现在?有谁——已经好几年了。嗯,是的,但你上次去那边是什么时候?每次去都不一样。以前我走的那条去体育馆的出口现在不再是出口了,我得另想办法。我的意思是,这真是一个在到达媒体日之前就失去宁静的好方法。
迈克·芬格:NBA赛季充满了调整,杰夫。每个人都得做出调整。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:嗯,关键是保持头脑清醒。
汤姆·奥斯本:随机应变,适应环境,克服困难。
迈克·芬格:嗯。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:谢谢各位。[笑声] 还有几个——你——这个夏天是你第一次接触《绝命毒师》《风骚律师》宇宙吗,汤姆?不是?不是,不是,绝对不是,但我从来没有能够连续地完整看完。我明白了。我断断续续地看。它真的很吸引人,你知道,你提到了拉罗。在沙漠里那场戏,杰西和沃尔特绑架索尔·古德曼,他脱口而出:“不是我,是伊格纳西奥。”他们挖了一个坑——嗯哼。是的。对。他说“不是我”,然后他提到了拉罗,你现在会想,他们之前就构思好了吗?我知道他们没有,我做过功课,所以 fascinating 的地方在于,他们利用那些台词创造出了一个全新的故事——对。嗯哼。对。在《绝命毒师》之前的故事。太吸引人了。是的。是的。而且他们是以一种——你可能也读到过——他们把自己逼进死角,不知道季终时该如何脱身的方式来做这件事的。这有点——不知道这有没有马刺的关联,或者马刺式的类比,就是你给自己写了一个故事,却不知道下一步该怎么走。我不觉得那很像马刺的风格。我觉得你回想一下RC·布福德在大概2020、2021年在那个球馆里看到16岁的维克托·文班亚马,他们想的是好几个赛季之后的事。嗯。《风骚律师》《绝命毒师》宇宙的文斯·吉利根并不总是想得那么远,但做事的方式不止一种。我们会看到本赛季为马刺规划的故事板是什么。我们两周后回来,就当是为你们的日程安排做个预告。我知道你们有记事本、日历,《马刺内幕》是其中的重要一环。所以,从9月29日开始,我们将恢复每周一期,汤姆和杰夫,当你们预订行程、预订机票、酒店房间时,每周都要留出一个早晨。我们不会透露具体时间,但我们一般每周在同一时间录制,我这个赛季不想再应付杰夫·麦克唐纳和汤姆·奥斯本说“哦,这周我来不了播客了,因为我订了那天早上飞克利夫兰的机票。你们得没有我了。”不行,我需要整个团队的承诺。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:你还有11月10日从菲尼克斯回来的那次,那会很艰难,迈克,但我们之后再谈。[笑声] 你还押注我什么时候失去宁静,因为我刚刚就失去了。[笑声] 我这个夏天一点都不想念你的说教。[笑声]
迈克·芬格:人们——我不是要怀念说教。我代表观众和听众说话。他们喜欢整个团队。每当你们中有人缺席——其实,他们喜欢汤姆。[笑声] 他们喜欢汤姆。每当汤姆不在,大家就会不高兴。杰夫不在的时候,大家倒还无所谓。所以杰夫,如果你想在录制期间出差,那也行,但汤姆的压力就大了,得多说几句。我觉得人们喜欢汤姆的原因是他发言更有选择性。但如果整个团队都在场,节目就是更好。我要求的是和米奇·约翰逊对他的球员们一样的承诺。让我们共同打造一个美好的赛季,好吗?
杰夫·麦克唐纳:好。
汤姆·奥斯本:好。
杰夫·麦克唐纳:我现在就要特意把出差安排在播客录制的时候。
汤姆·奥斯本:我只想快点到季后赛冲刺阶段。[笑声]
杰夫·麦克唐纳:我们要不要来个季前赛冲刺?
汤姆·奥斯本:下次请收听季后赛冲刺特辑。
迈克·芬格:请别给收听这档播客的决策层任何想法。我们拭目以待本赛季会有什么,直到我们在每周一期的《马刺内幕》中再会。照顾好彼此,保持真实。
[music]
由生成式 AI 翻译,翻译内容可能不准确或不完整,以原文为准。
查看原文:Spurs’ biggest training camp questions
Spurs’ biggest training camp questions
Columnist Mike Finger and beat reporters Jeff McDonald and Tom Orsborn discuss the most interesting storylines as the Spurs are set to open training camp in two weeks, including who do you start? Tobias Harris or Julian Champganie? Dylan Harper or De’Aaron Fox?
Suggested reading:
How De’Aaron Fox is helping Spurs prepare for training camp
Spurs set to host coaching clinic honoring Gregg Popovich
Why Spurs streaming plan tests the price of NBA fan loyalty, connections
Meet Chris Kent, the G League Austin Spurs’ new head coach
Here is the transcript of the podcast:
[music]
Mike Finger: From a highly secured network of top-secret locations across South Texas, this is the Spurs Insider, return of serenity edition. I am Mike Finger, joined by our panel of Express-News Spurs beat writers. There’s Jeff McDonald, who’s back, and the always serene, the ever respected, the rested, the ready Tom Orsborn is back for the first time in over a month. Tom, welcome back to the Spurs Insider podcast. How has your summer been?
Tom Orsborn: Uh good, good. Um took care of a lot of uh boring auto and home repairs.
Mike Finger: Yeah?
Tom Orsborn: But on the on the enjoyable side, doing a lot of swimming.
Mike Finger: Swimming? You’re swimming again. That’s great.
Tom Orsborn: Swimming again, yes, yes. Very relaxing. Um reading, watching Breaking Bad a lot and uh Better Call Saul. I’m trying to get through the whole thing. Wow. Uh so yeah, it’s been a good summer. Good to be back with you guys. I would never turn down an opportunity to be with you guys. [laughter]
Mike Finger: Well, [laughter] one thing that uh one one bit of uh feedback that I got from our previous podcast, which included Uh Tom, I’m not sure if you saw this, which featured the uh the esteemed Michael C. Wright, was that uh that there was a few people out there wishing that Tom could have been there to chip to chime in on some of the stories that Michael C. Wright told about uh Yeah. Oh man. about uh camera men in Oklahoma City and uh you know, uh uh moments in the locker room where you have Keldon Johnson stepping in for you uh Keldon Johnson wishing that Michael C. Wright would have stepped in for you. Uh you know, you were missed. Wow.
Tom Orsborn: Got to tip the hat, speaking of that uh that adventure. I got to tip the hat to my colleague, Jeff McDonald. Uh-huh, that was mentioned. He had my He had my back.
Jeff McDonald: Thank you. Finally, I get the credit I deserve for being the heavy. [laughter]
Mike Finger: That’s right. The question is, as as as Michael C. Wright refers to you uh and and he he’s the one who who talks about your serenity. And And by the end by by mid-June last year, Tom, it was starting that we were starting to see a a few chips in it, you know, because it’s a long season. You call them I’m saying I’m human, right? Some Some cracks in the serenity. But um, I’m I’m curious if if all the swimming You’re doing laps in the pool. I know that you’ve said that’s good um a a therapy, a good good exercise for for your your old-man ailments. Yes. I wonder if your your your viewing of the Vince Gilligan uh universe, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, uh your your home repairs, your your your time with your your lovely wife, if if that’s recharging your serenity batteries? Yeah. Yeah, I think I think they’ve been recharged. The challenge will come, of course, and here’s the segue, uh media day. [laughter]
Mike Finger: Media day is less Damn, Tom Orsborn, already in midseason form, already with the segues, already leading us perfectly into the topic du jour. Media day is less than 2 weeks away. This is our last Spurs Insider before the reigning Western Conference champions reconvene for the start of training camp. Jeff, you have not uh had a chance to uh opine yet this fine morning. What are you most looking forward to finding out, asking, witnessing, observing when training camp starts in a couple of weeks?
Jeff McDonald: Well, I was going to say media day is uh the 28th at 10:00 a.m. Do I have that correct?
Mike Finger: I’m not s- I I think you’re not supposed to give that out to the public.
Jeff McDonald: So I lose my serenity by noon. [laughter] By noon of me- media day it’s it’s gone.
Mike Finger: I’ll take the under on that, by the way.
Jeff McDonald: A- And I don’t I don’t get it back until uh in in until August. It’s a whole year, uh 11 months of uh lack of serenity for for yours truly.
Mike Finger: 11 months?
Jeff McDonald: Yeah, you know, if if if they go as as long as uh as they went last year, the the the Spurs.
Mike Finger: Yeah. Uh what is the um What What What do you think you’re going to be writing about that first day?
Jeff McDonald: The first day? [sighs] Um I don’t know about the first day. Um that that’s that’s that’s um I don’t know. God, you are making me like fill out the budget right now? The Or What you The first week, the first month, whatever. What I’m looking forward to from that first
Mike Finger: Serenity’s already gone 2 weeks before media day. [laughter]
Jeff McDonald: Well, I mean, I think a lot of times, um when you have a team that is mostly new like this one is going to be, some of the interesting things obviously are are the things that are new. So, I think that first week that for those first couple preseason games, those first few practices, um I want to see what Tobias Harris looks like and how he fits in and is he in the starting lineup? Probably. And who’s not in the starting lineup because Tobias Harris is a new starter? And um you know, what kind of new wrinkles and and gadgets uh are available to the Spurs now that they have a different guy, a bigger body at that position? You know, you got a lot There’s going to be a little bit of a I think, a post-up game from your pom- 4 man, a little bit. Not not a not like a 4-down Timmy Duncan thing, but I think you got a guy now that has the size and the chops to occasionally back down smaller defenders. And you know, he’s not a bad 3-point shooter. And um so, I like to see how the new toys are are going to function. And And this year really, you’re only real uh your most prominent new toy is Mr. Harris.
Mike Finger: Tom, what are you looking forward to seeing that first week?
Tom Orsborn: Well, you know, media day uh whatever Wemby says, [laughter] you know, whatever he whatever he says or doesn’t say or, you know, that’s going to be news. Mhm, exactly. And then, of course, the obvious question, you know, as Jeff already mentioned, the starting lineup. Uh what’s the deal with Fox? What’s the deal with Harper? You know, um how do you uh how do you break down uh their roles um and so forth? So, those are the things that stand out.
Mike Finger: The um
Jeff McDonald: I think it’s going to be in- interesting because uh you know, knock on wood and I’m pro- might be jinxing something by saying this, but you’re going to get a healthy De’Aaron Fox going into Oh yeah. training camp as opposed to last year where about this time he was dealing with a pretty pretty nice uh or or not nice hamstring injury, and that really slowed his You know, he didn’t participate in camp at all. He didn’t play in the preseason. He’s missed the first uh week or so of the regular season um, and it took him a while to get up to speed. So, you know, health willing, um I’ll be interested to see what a completely healthy to start the season uh De’Aaron Fox looks like for these guys, as well.
Tom Orsborn: Been hosting uh workouts there in Houston that Harris, Wemby, Barnes have attended. And I I I think we’re going to see a highly Not Not that he isn’t always this way, but a highly motivated uh De’Aaron Fox to uh you know, make amends, if that’s the correct term, for whatever people thought about him in the finals.
Mike Finger: You guys are all over it. When I was storyboarding this episode, you know, with my magic markers and my magnets, my my white board [laughter] I’m up all night the night before these podcasts, like planning it out. [laughter] You know, like like Tom, like the Vince Gilligan, you know, in the writers’ room for Better Call Saul and and uh and Breaking Bad, you know, they have they have all these different lines and and and and plots and arcs to take care of. Like that’s me planning these Spurs Insider episodes. Yeah. Sequels, prequels, movie Sequels, prequels, you know. Will we bring Lalo into the mix? That’s always fun. Um [laughter] when I was planning this out last night at at at 3:30 in the morning deciding what what this Spurs episode is inside Spurs Insider episode’s going to be, I thought it was going to the the the the peak was going to be we’re going to be talking about De’Aaron Fox, cuz that to me that is the off-season issue. Um, you have the new toy, as Jeff mentioned, with with Tobias Harris. You have the always present Victor Wembanyama, who’s always a story. But the overriding arc of this off-season heading into next year is De’Aaron Fox. And I will say that there was an episode of Spurs Insider shortly after the finals where I threw out the idea that um I acknowledge the idea that De’Aaron Fox probably is not going to finish his contract here, and if there would be a an opportunity to rip off the Band-Aid and move off of that contract this off-season, the Spurs could do it. That didn’t happen. I don’t think that ever was a huge possibility. Um that was not reporting. That was just I was just throwing that out and saying, “Hey, you know, what if?” Now, we know that’s not going to happen, and now, as someone who threw that possibility out, I want to throw out the idea that De’Aaron Fox could be, I think, one of the keys to this coming season. Uh he’s going to be around. He’s He, as Tom said, he’s hosting his teammates Absolutely. in Houston for workouts. He’s very involved. There’s never been any doubt that he’s a leader on this team, that the the team his the the rest of the locker room likes him. They look to him. Um and as Mitch Johnson has pointed out over and over again, when the Spurs are at their best, when they’re playing with pace, whenever there is a there they are as efficient as they can be, it’s because of De’Aaron Fox. And he did not have a good NBA Finals. How much of that was due to the the injury, we don’t know, um but he’s got a lot to prove. And now that he’s back, and I say now that he’s back, he’s always could been back. But now that everyone is is is is clear on the fact that he’s back, um I guess my question is: How big of a year is this for De’Aaron Fox? How big of a year do you expect from him, Jeff?
Jeff McDonald: Well, he’s got I mean, it’s it’s not um I’m not breaking any news here to say he’s got some competition for for minutes and touches in that in that back court. I mean, that those two young guys, Stephon Castle and and especially Dylan Harper, they’re coming on. So, to fend them off, he’s going to have to have a have a great year. And and um I think that he will. I think he’s I think he’s been a good player. I think he’s been everything that the Spurs needed from him um since they traded for him. And I I I think maybe you made the point at some time last year, if you had told the Spurs at the moment that they made that trade for De’Aaron Fox uh at that trade deadline that the following season they were going to be in the finals, they would have said it’s a home run, slam dunk trade. I mean, that it that got that got them probably uh got them what they were looking for faster than they even imagined. So, I think he’s he’s definitely going to be a key to the season in terms of pushing the pace, um just being a weapon. I I think if you’re looking for him And this was true even before Dylan Harper arrived. If you’re looking for De’Aaron Fox to put up the same numbers that he put up in Sacramento when he could just go be a um you know, a scoring pig on a bad team, well, you’re you’re looking at it the wrong way. You just got to look at him to make winning basketball plays, and uh for the most part, he does that. I know he had a rough finals, and there was a particular play in the finals that was the opposite of making a winning play. It was a mistake. Um he’s probably taking too much guff from about that um since then. I expect him to have a big year. Now, the other question is if you thought he was going to be he could possibly remotely be traded in the off-season, are you positive he makes it through this entire season? Is there a trade deadline situation where um, you know, maybe his name comes up? That’s the question I’ll throw to you since you were uh the one that thought there was at least a remote possibility that he could be shopped this off-season.
Mike Finger: I I would still say, as when I mentioned this a month or two ago, this is not something that I consider likely. Um, this is not something that I have heard there’s any even any smoke to in terms of the Spurs. I don’t think the Spurs have had Right. any conversations about moving De’Aaron Fox. Um, but you know, how long is a regular season, Tom? We know how long that thing drags out. I mean, it’s it’s months and months and months. And how many different storylines do we go through? I I bring up this example um often about how, you know, in in November and December of last year, we were talking about Harrison Barnes being a guy who could be here for years and years as a cornerstone of that starting lineup and how great he was, and then a few months later, he wasn’t even really playing at all in the playoffs. Um, things can change quickly, um and I think that um I don’t anticipate De’Aaron Fox being traded this season. I don’t anticipate any conversations on that front, but it’s a long season, and if the lineup unfolds in a way, if if the games unfold in a way where Dylan Harper and Stephon Castle, because of let’s say a De’Aaron Fox sprained ankle or uh, you know, somebody gets hurt and and uh the lineup changes, um and and the team starts thriving with Harper and Castle together and Fox not playing and then I don’t know, Fox goes through a slump, I don’t know. There I I what I’m saying is that I don’t think I rule out the idea of an in-season trade. But uh that would that would really surprise me.
Jeff McDonald: Just to answer my own question, I think um as long as the season goes as planned and they’re kicking butt and they’re uh you know, on pace for 60 wins and they’re one of the best teams in the West and Yeah. all that, I don’t see them tinkering with anything. You know, when we get to the trade deadline. Now, if something if the if the season doesn’t go to plan, if something goes horribly awry and probably, and I don’t want to put this in the universe, but like if it’s there’s a some Victor injury and they have they lose a bunch of games and things are not going well by February, then maybe that’s where you see a discussion along those those lines. Yeah. But I don’t I think I don’t think he’s going to be traded just because Dylan Harper’s really good. [laughter]
Mike Finger: It’s It’s also a situation where um uh that’s a hard deal to make in the middle of a season. Mhm. Um, his cuz I mean, that you’re not just going to dump him to um to Brooklyn. Um, it Nobody wants to to acquire a $50 million point guard in the middle of the season unless there’s there’s an obvious need for it. Um, Yeah. Yeah. so no, I I would I would doubt that. And I would also say this, um to get to the NBA Finals, as the Spurs did last year, you have to play well in the postseason, obviously. But a huge reason why they got that far is because De’Aaron Fox was so good for 70 games. Right. Yeah. And uh like to get through another 82-game season, I think you like the the now that this roster is what it is, the presence of De’Aaron Fox for let’s let’s say, of 70 72, 75 games is huge. Like that’s that’s how you get through that season, that’s how you put yourself in position to have home-court advantage, to give yourself a good seed, all that stuff. So, um everything comes down to one postseason, to one series, to one play, as Jeff said. I mean, that’s how that’s how people are judging De’Aaron Fox last year. If you didn’t get those 70 games out of De’Aaron Fox, where the Spurs are playing at elite at an elite level, and you look at the the net rating there of of De’Aaron Fox on the on the court. Like he was he wasn’t a negative on defense either. People think that of him. Um he had a positive What is it? WAR on defense. He’s a He was a top-50 player in in all the advanced stats all last season. Um I I I think you need that again from him to uh put yourself in position to make that postseason run.
Jeff McDonald: I I mean, nobody would be even having these questions about should the Spurs move on from De’Aaron Fox if Dylan Harper wasn’t so dang good, is is the thing, you know? So, it’s it’s really just how to solve the problem of getting every all three of those studs Right. enough playing time and enough touches on a team that also has Victor Wembanyama, who’s going to take a lot of those touches. So, Right. that’s why the discussion even comes up. And, you know, it’s a cliché that we’ve used a lot of times, but it’s a good problem to have if you’re the Spurs, and you’re Mitch Johnson, and you’re Brian Wright.
Tom Orsborn: Yeah. He um, you know, back to back to last year’s regular season, he was outstanding. I mean, he was outstanding in taking a step back. He wasn’t trying to fend anyone off. He was doing his role perfectly. Um, and people took notice. I remember being in Miami when Erik Spoelstra, I asked him about Fox, said, “Man, that guy Right. [laughter] you know, his unselfishness is off the charts this year and and and people need to take notice of that.” Um, you know, again, he’s going to be highly motivated to make up for the finals. And then, also if his window is short here, he’s going to want to He’s going to He’s going to do everything possible to get that championship. Um, he’s not going to play with a Wemby again. That’s That’s for Yeah. That’s for darn sure. And he’s got Tobias Harris. Uh you know, they’re they’re of the same mindset. It’s all It’s all going to be about winning a championship. So, I I look for him I look for Fox to have a big season. And that And that doesn’t mean number-wise, that just means role-wise, I think he’s going to be very good. Right. Right, right.
Jeff McDonald: Right. We got to stop looking at these guys number-wise and how well do they fit their role and play their role. And Yeah.
Tom Orsborn: And and the Spurs, look at look at what uh Vassell did last year, Devin. Um, you know, uh they’ve got guys willing to step back and and play for the good of good of the team, and it worked out last year, and they’ve got to be even hungrier to to get back this year. Yeah.
Mike Finger: Let me ask you this question, Tom. Uh you mentioned, or or maybe Jeff did, the uh Tobias Harris addition and what it does lineup-wise. This is This is more of a philosophical question or or a lifestyle question for you. What would you rather have, Tom? [chuckles] Uh a spot in the starting lineup for a team coming off the NBA Finals or a a spot on the bench for a team coming off the NBA Finals and a sparkling new home in the Dominion subdivision?
Tom Orsborn: Okay. [laughter] I thought you were going with Harris, now you’re talking about No, I’m I’m going for I’m going for who Harris might displace in the starting lineup. Julian, yeah.
Mike Finger: Have you been reading the Have you been reading the expressnews.com, all the scoops that we’ve had on uh new home purchases? Yes, yeah.
Tom Orsborn: And a chance to go up to Austin and see those Longhorns.
Mike Finger: And a chance [laughter] Julian Champagnie’s had an off-season. Those thrilling comebacks. This is I’m joking in a bit. I’m joking a bit, but um
Tom Orsborn: No, he’s going to do It’s it’s It’s been a good off-season for Julian. He got paid. Julian’s going to do what
Mike Finger: He’s got a new house. He’s going to see Longhorns games without like uh like uh saying anything racist like some people who who talk about Longhorns games these days. [laughter] Geez. Like that that that’s a positive. Um and uh he might lose his spot in the starting lineup, but I think to transition to another player, another topic here, I think Julian Champagnie’s the kind of guy who will uh continue. Even though he’s gotten paid, um he’s got a lot of respect. People know about him around the league now. I I I don’t anticipate him being a problem if he’s the guy who’s on the bench.
Tom Orsborn: I would be shocked, [laughter] shocked, Mike Finger, if if he did not say, “What do you guys need from me, Mitch? Uh Billy Donovan, what do you guys need from me? Wemby, what do you want me to do?” And then, do it to the best of his ability. Yeah. I’d be shocked.
Jeff McDonald: And that’s just That’s just the kind of guy he is. I also think it stems from, you know, his his path to the NBA. You know, he was a guy that basically, Yeah. not too long ago, didn’t have a job in the NBA. He’d been cut by Philadelphia, wasn’t drafted at all, cut by Philadelphia. Um the Spurs kind of scooped him up to give him a kind of a try out and see what hap- Like so, a guy that comes from that is sort of grateful for whatever He is grateful. Yes. grateful for whatever role you have for them. And he got his money, you know. I mean, I I I think that helps too. Um but he’s been a guy that started and come off the bench and sometimes in the same season. He had a year where um you know, I get my years mixed up, but he had a year there where he finished as a starter and then the following year didn’t even barely played the first month of the season and then ended that season as a starter. So, he’s he’s been on both ends of the spectrum. He’s a guy that that can do it, that knows what it’s like. And because of the path that it took him, like he he he knows that he’s lucky to be in the NBA. I mean, he could have done everything else the same and just didn’t get the opportunity. Um so, whe- when you’re that grateful, it’s hard to complain. So, I don’t think we’ll hear uh we’ll hear a peep about Julian Champagnie or from Julian Champagnie negatively if he’s the guy that gets um sent to the bench.
Tom Orsborn: He showed a lot of maturity.
Mike Finger: I think a key scene in that I think a key scene in that origin story, you’re talking about the the journey, was uh getting uh getting cut by Philly on Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day, correct. Having to And then, having to take his uh girlfriend at the time out for dinner that night even though he didn’t want to. Yes. And uh hey, that’s a that’s a credit to the Spurs, who um had seen enough of him, and they reached out, and they offered him the What was it, the two-way spot for the rest of that season? Yes. Um, big big moment. I’m not sure they uh they make it as far as they did last year without him because that power forward spot was a a problem um for the Spurs in some of those series uh in the Western Conference. And uh and uh Julian solved that problem. Uh surprised He was a huge I mean, you consider him a 2-guard, I I still sort of when I when If you would ask me what Julian Champagnie’s position is, it’s sort of like shooting guard, maybe that’s wrong on my part, but he was a hell of a rebounder and a hell of a defender. Um Yes. And made more 3-pointers in the season than anybody in Spurs history. Yeah.
Tom Orsborn: Didn’t shrink in the playoffs, you know, elevated in the playoffs somewhat. All right, rose to the occasion.
Mike Finger: I think that I, absolutely. I think the theme here, uh whether we’re talking about De’Aaron Fox, Julian Champagnie, Tobias Harris, is one key to the Spurs repeating what they did last year, maybe even re- uh improving on it, is those guys continuing to embrace whatever Mitch Johnson wants of them. And um that can be in very different ways. Like you’re not going to ask of Julian Champagnie exactly what you’re asking of De’Aaron Fox. And uh something that Mitch Johnson said uh over and over again last year, especially during the playoffs, is um uh one of the keys to coaching, in his mind, is to be is is to have a sense of clarity with every player on the roster. And to on the first day of training camp, on the fifth day of training camp, on the 70 morning of the 75th game of the season, to have the players know exactly what is expected of them and what you expect of them. And I think that’s going to be a huge key again for this team is for Mitch Johnson and Billy Donovan, and on up and down the staff, Corliss Williamson, to have that clarity with their players of, “Okay, De’Aaron Fox, uh you’re back. Um we have Dylan Harper. We have Stephon Castle. We have all these guys around you. This is exactly what we want you to do. Julian Champagnie, this is exactly what we want you to do. Forget what the fans expect of you, forget the contract you got, this is exactly what you want we want you to do.” I think they probably had that clarity, Jeff, with Tobias Harris before they signed him. Like, I don’t think Tobias Harris is going to come in and be surprised at what they expect of him.
Jeff McDonald: And I think it was a credit to those guys last year for accepting the roles they were given, because everybody in the NBA thinks they should be playing more, thinks they should be getting more shots, thinks that, you know, more plays should be run for them. And on a team with Victor Wembanyama that’s going places, um that’s not always the case, and you have to accept the role that you’re given and and do it to your ability, whether that’s uh you know, focusing on defense, whether that’s rebounding, whether that’s just, you know, being a being a mid-range guy, a pressure-release release valve guy. And you know, everybody you go down the roster, everybody on that team, when they were drafted probably, thought they were going to have a bigger role maybe than they did. Devin Vassell, you know, they were when he was drafted, he was the highest pick since Tim Duncan, he was a lottery pick. Um he’s a guy that maybe he becomes a future star. Well, he’s not a a star in that sense, but he became a star in his role. And um that’s what you need everybody to do. And that that might be one thing worth watching this year: is everybody going to stay on board? I I don’t have any reason to believe that anybody’s going to uh fall off board. Um, but it’s it’s it’s also easy to accept all that stuff when you’re winning 60 games and going to the finals. If If you’re not happy with your role, and the team hits a bump or is losing, that’s when you can maybe become disgruntled. And so, you know, [sighs] it it’s it’s just can can can everybody keep the ship going the right way? Can everybody keep their mind right? I have no reason to believe that they won’t, but that is just something that happens with with all teams is um you know, when people aren’t happy with their role, it can be it can be a problem.
Tom Orsborn: As as close as they are to and in this championship window, as close as they are to winning a championship, none of them are going to turn down an opportunity to to make the team better. Yeah.
Jeff McDonald: Yeah, I don’t I don’t foresee uh you know, people want I think people want to put stuff in Dylan Harper’s uh mouth or head or whatever, just just think for him and think, “Well, if I were Dylan Harper, I would want to be starting. I’d be mad if I wasn’t starting.” But that’s Yeah. There’s a difference between being disappointed and wanting to start and still going out and doing that bench role like like he did last year, and situation for him again. This year, I expect him to to maintain that to to maintain that that me- mentality.
Mike Finger: Of course, agreed. Um, I think what you said before that is is the issue in that this is not a question we’re going to find out on media day or in training camp, is as to what happens when the bump in the road comes and somebody wants to play more. Right. Right. And to uh like like our previous guest uh from 2 weeks ago, um Michael C. Wright had um reporting on espn.com about how um, you know, it’s it’s not just that people are putting that in Dylan Harper’s mind, it’s that there are people around him who expect that he will eventually start. And that the the the the the question is when does the word “eventually” become an issue? [laughter] You know? It’s fine to It’s I I don’t think anticipate him coming in coming in in October or November and saying, “I need to start.” Uh the issue is you lose four games in a row in late January, and uh Dylan Harper in those four games averages 26 points a game, while De’Aaron Fox doesn’t play great, or Devin Vassell doesn’t play great, or whatever, and then like what happens then? And that’s why Mitch Johnson makes the big bucks, and that’s why all those guys make the big bucks, is to figure that stuff out. And it’s it’s it’s something that we’ll just have to wait and see. Uh we don’t have the answers now, the Spurs don’t have the answers now, but Anything Anything else you guys are uh are looking forward to um in that brief period from 10:00 a.m. to noon on that Monday before Jeff loses his mind? [laughter]
Jeff McDonald: Uh And by the way, the Noon seems late to me. I think by 11:01, Jeff will be impatient, ready to go home. It It probably in traffic on the way there, Yeah. I will I will lose my serenity. I mean, have you seen that area of town now with the construction and whatnot? I don’t know how anyone Now? How anyone It’s been years. Well, yeah, but every time I don’t know how when’s the last time you’ve been over there, but every time you go, it’s different. Now the exit I used to take to get to the rock is now not an exit anymore, and I have to figure out another way when I go. It’s just it’s so it’s a it’s a good way to lose your serenity before you even get to media day is what I’m saying.
Mike Finger: NBA season is full of adjustments, Jeff. Everybody has to make them.
Jeff McDonald: Well, it’s a matter of keeping your head.
Tom Orsborn: Improvise, adapt, overcome.
Mike Finger: Mhm.
Jeff McDonald: Thanks, guys. [laughter] Got a couple Where Where are you in the uh So So this summer was your first exposure to the Breaking Bad uh uh Better Call Saul universe, Tom? No? No, no, no. Not by any means, um but I never I never was able to continuously watch it all the way through. I see. Um you know, so I picked it up here and there. And it’s just fascinating, you know, you mentioned Lalo. That that scene in the desert when Jesse and Walt uh kidnap um Saul Goodman and and he he blurts out, “It wasn’t me, it was Ignacio.” They’ve They’ve dug a grave Uh-huh. Yeah. Right. and he says, “It wasn’t me.” Uh and he mentions Lalo and and you wonder now, did they storybook that before? I know they didn’t, I did my research, so it’s fascinating that they took those lines and were able to create this whole different story Right. Uh-huh. Right. preceding Breaking Bad. It’s fascinating. Yeah. Yeah. And they did it in a way um, you may have you may have read this too, where they they painted themselves into corners and did not know how they were going to get out at the end of seasons and whatnot. Um, which is kind of uh I don’t know if that if there’s a Spurs tangent there, or a Spurs uh uh comparison there, where you you you you you put yourself you you wrote a story for yourself and you don’t know what the next move is. I don’t I don’t think that’s very Spurs-like. I think you you go back to um RC Buford seeing a 16-year-old Victor Wembanyama in that gym in like 2020, 2021, um they were thinking several seasons ahead. Mhm. Um the uh the Vince Gilligan of the uh Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad universe uh weren’t always thinking that far ahead, but there’re more than one way to to go at it. Um, we will see what the storyboard has in plan for the uh for the Spurs this season. We will be back with you in 2 weeks, and that will start for your planning purposes. I know you guys have your uh date books, your calendars in which the Spurs Insider is a huge uh feature. So, moving forward, starting on September the 29th, we’re going to be back to every week, Tom and Jeff, and when you guys are are booking your travel, when you’re booking your flights, your hotel rooms, you need to set aside a morning every week. We We’re not going to give away the exact timing, but we we record generally at the same time every week, and I don’t want to have to deal this season with Jeff McDonald and Tom Orsborn saying, “Oh, I can’t make the podcast this week because I booked a flight to Cleveland that morning. You have to do without me.” No, I need commitment from the whole group.
Jeff McDonald: You had the uh You had the November 10th coming back from Phoenix, it’ll be a tough one, Mike, but we’ll talk about that later. [laughter] You You You had the uh under when I was going to lose my serenity cuz I just lost it. [laughter] I have not missed the I have not missed the school marm-ing at all this summer. [laughter]
Mike Finger: People like I’m not going to miss school marm. I’m speaking for the viewers, and the listeners. They like the whole panel. Every time one of you is gone Actually, they like Tom. [laughter] They like Tom. Every time Tom’s not around, people get upset. When Jeff’s not around, they’re sort of fine with it. So Jeff, if you want to travel during the tapings, that’s fine, but it’s a lot of pressure on Tom to talk more. I think the reason why people enjoy Tom is is because he’s more selective with his chime-ins. Um, but it’s just a better It it’s just better if the whole group’s around, and I’m asking for the same commitment that Mitch Johnson is asking from his guys. And let’s make it a good year. All right?
Jeff McDonald: Right.
Tom Orsborn: All right.
Jeff McDonald: I’m going to go out of my way to book my trips when I can’t be on the podcast now.
Tom Orsborn: I just want to get to that playoff push. [laughter]
Jeff McDonald: Are we going to do a pre-season push?
Tom Orsborn: Join us next time for the playoff push.
Mike Finger: Please don’t give uh the powers that be that listen to this podcast any ideas. Um we’ll see what the season has in store until we talk to you on the uh weekly edition of the Spurs Insider. Take care of each other and keep it real.
[music]