[PtR] 马刺终结系列赛大胜明尼苏达森林狼:我们学到了什么 ▶️

By Devon Birdsong | Pounding The Rock (PtR), 2026-05-17 00:45:25

我七岁那年,父亲第一次教我玩 21 点(Blackjack)。

教一个那个年纪的孩子玩这种游戏是否正常,或许可以留到以后再谈,但对我来说,那是童年里一段具有塑造性且快乐的回忆。

当时我们在父亲老板的海滨度假屋度过了大半周的假期,能玩的纸牌游戏快要玩腻了。“抽鬼牌”(Old Maid)、“钓鱼”(Go Fish)、“角落里的国王”(Kings In the Corner)、“黑桃王”(Spades)、“吹牛”(Cheat)、“抢勺子”(Spoons)和“Uno”都玩了无数遍,而且那栋海滨别墅(非常刻意地)没有电视机,更不用说录像机了。

我们只有彼此,只有消遣,以及岸边的海洋。回想起来,那是我们生活中一段极其“低科技”的时光,发生在随后的技术冲击到来之前。

我们大声朗读课文,在客厅的地板上摔跤,在沙滩上消磨时光,直到日益严重的晒伤把我们赶回室内,就像躲避黎明的吸血鬼一样。我们沉浸在宽敞厨房里香料和新鲜甲壳类动物沸腾的香气中,瘫坐在餐桌旁讲着所有知道的笑话,还编出更烂的笑话。餐后,就进入了正题。

“记住,庄家在 16 点或更低时必须拿牌(Hit),”父亲提醒我,当时我正打算在自己已经 17 点的情况下冒险要牌。

“什么是‘硬 17 点’(Hard 17)来着?”

“没有 A 的 17 点。”

“哦,我有一张 A。那意味着什么?”

“这意味着你有一个‘软 17 点’(Soft 17)。你的 A 可以当成 11 点,也可以当成 1 点。”

“如果我爆牌了,它就是 1 点,对吧?”

“没错。但现在我明面上是一张 6,这意味着除非我也有张 A,否则我可能必须得再拿一张牌。”

“因为庄家必须在 17 点停牌(Stand),对吧?”

“在我们的规则里是这样。但并非所有规则都如此。在我们的游戏里,如果我有一张 A,我们会‘Push’,也就是平局。”

“我不想平局。我想赢。我要一张牌。”

牌从牌堆中翻开,是一张 2。

“好,那是 19 点。你想停牌吗?”

“下一张牌会是大牌,对吧?”

“也许吧。对我来说情况不妙。”

“好,我停牌。”

父亲翻开了他的第二张牌。也是一张 A。

“好吧,那是 17 点。我必须停牌。”

“我赢了?”

“是的。但仅限在我们的游戏里。在赌场里可能就不一定了。我还能再拿一张牌。”

“幸好我们不在赌场。”

“嗯。而且这不是你的钱。当那是你自己的钱时,情况会变得更难。”

“怎么个难法?”

“这个嘛,你有钱吗?”

“没有。我全花光了。”

“我想你总有一天会明白的。”

接下来的假期,只要在室内,我们就在玩 21 点,直到我确信自己已经精通了这个游戏。我知道什么时候该要牌,什么时候该停牌。我变得擅长根据桌面上的情况预判可能出现的牌。这本身并不是算牌,但那是我在数字方面表现最好的一次。

在随后的许多次假期中,我们最终都会玩 21 点。到了成年,在我第一次去拉斯维加斯时,我惊喜地发现自己还保留着这些知识。

考虑到在第一次接触 21 点(Vingt-et-un)之后的几年里,我是如何沉迷于整理和积累技术统计表(Box scores)的,这或许并不令人意外。

我会从比赛后第二天的报纸上把它们剪下来(当报纸被完全读完后),存放在我的房间里,有时贴在墙上(比如蒂姆·邓肯对阵新泽西篮网队总决赛第六战的杰作),但更多时候是堆在我的梳妆台上,或者是那个我称之为书桌的、带着腿的小方块复合木板上。

当我用螺旋笔记本追踪圣安东尼奥马刺队重要球员的起伏时,感觉自己获得的信息比表面上的更多。翻遍了母亲的储藏室后,我怀疑这些笔记本现在已经遗失很久了,但我仍然幻想着能找到那个专门记录斯蒂芬·杰克逊 (Stephen Jackson)、马利克·罗斯 (Malik Rose) 和斯皮蒂·克拉克斯顿 (Speedy Claxton) 的笔记本,当时我正试图弄清楚马刺应该努力留下哪一个。

我不百分之百确定为什么马刺对阵明尼苏达森林狼队的这场痛击会触发这些回忆。我确信比赛在第三节过半时就结束了,当时银黑军团正处于连续第三个单节得分 36+ 的势头中,而我正处于半梦半醒之间,胸口感受着女儿熟睡时那令人安心的重量。

(她在睡着前唯一的贡献是评论说 100 是一个很大的数字)

每一次眼皮的闭合都带来一段回忆。每一次睁开,都是现实中的屠杀。

我该怎么写这篇文章?我该直接说每个人都打得很好吗?

我的意思是,他们确实打得很好。凯利·奥利尼克 (Kelly Olynyk)、乔丹·麦克劳克林 (Jordan McLaughlin) 和林迪·沃特斯三世 (Lindy Waters III) 都打了第四节的三分之二时间。常规轮换阵容中只有一名成员的出场时间超过了 27 分钟。

在比赛还剩 8 分钟、落后 30 分的情况下,英勇但身体抱恙的安东尼·爱德华兹 (Anthony Edwards) 在退场为下赛季休养受伤的膝盖前,亲自向马刺球员表示了祝贺。这与系列赛开始时人们有时会令人恼火地将其比作的那支身体对抗极其强悍、奉行“乔丹法则”的活塞队的举止截然相反。

最终,他们更像是纸老虎,而不是许多队外球迷所希望的那种超级巨星终结者。无论是由于伤病还是阵容灵活性的不足,他们都被迫在 17 点停牌了。

马刺则是在用“庄家的钱”博弈,阵容深度更厚,调整能力更强,并且由于之前的几个赛季,他们身上没有那种沉重的期待感。

虽然在今年的季后赛大胜中,我大部分时间都在提醒自己和他人不要操之过急,但我还是忍不住展望即将到来的对决,以及期待即将发生真正改变的现实。

在本赛季开始前,即使是最热情的马刺支持者和记者,也认为西部决赛是地平线上绝对且最遥远的巅峰。大多数人都同意,避开附加赛并击败首轮对手将是一个可以接受且合理的极限。

但现在,马刺已经在维克托·文班亚马 (Victor Wembanyama) 的第三个赛季站在了总决赛的门口,并将面对一支他们在常规赛中交手战绩为 4 胜 1 负的球队。

规则已经改变了。考虑到所有因素,俄克拉荷马城雷霆队比森林狼队更灵活、更有天赋、更健康,而且身体对抗也同样强悍(如果不是更强的话),此外他们还习惯性地拥有有利的哨声。

马刺不能指望他们在“软 17 点”停牌。雷霆会选择要牌。他们将拥有主场优势。他们是庄家,而庄家总是占据胜算。

几乎可以肯定的是,马刺必须在完全正确的时间做出完全正确的表现,而这一次,他们无法承受在对阵波特兰开拓者和森林狼时出现过的那些失误。

他们不再是用“庄家的钱”在博弈。代价将由他们自己以及支持他们的城市承担。这里的失败可能会困扰他们,而这可能会产生两种截然不同的结果。他们还太年轻,不懂得畏惧,我衷心希望他们能一直保持这种状态。

在拉斯维加斯用我自己的现金下注时,我发现自己会对过去从未考虑过两次的动作产生自我怀疑。那是为了这个目的专门拨出的钱,但大脑产生的预期可能与神经系统的反应直接对立,就像马刺球迷理智上可以持有关于这支球队如何超出所有预期的合理观点,却仍会因为对更多荣誉的合理渴望而感到不安。

在我现在的年纪再次经历这一切是很奇妙的。我看过这个故事的各种版本上演,我能在大多数情节发生前就预见到它们,但不知何故,这又是一次全新的体验。只是现在,我不再是因为球场上成年人的经验而感到安稳的青年,而是发现自己正带着充满希望的焦虑,期待着年轻一代的繁荣。我想知道我的生活中还会有多少部分变成这样。

然而,我发现这个赛季和季后赛美妙的混乱,已经像是一张“软 17 点”里的 A 牌一样显露了出来。

发牌吧。我已经准备好迎接下一张牌了。

关键要点

  • 我们必须谈谈斯蒂芬·卡斯尔 (Stephon Castle) 和德文·瓦塞尔 (Devin Vassell) 在这个系列赛中对朱利叶斯·兰德尔 (Julius Randle) 贡献的大师级防守。在系列赛之前,兰德尔显然是马刺队的一个错位威胁,因为马刺在四号位上的体型一直很吃力。我当时的想法是,马刺应该让兰德尔把自己投进坑里,而把大部分时间和精力花在爱德华兹身上。这就是我没在 NBA 执教的原因,因为肖恩·斯威尼 (Sean Sweeney) 拿出了他之前对阵森林狼的战术手册,决定交替向他们两人包夹。这对兰德尔来说非常有效,他在对阵丹佛的比赛中失去了他最喜欢的传球目标丹特·迪温琴佐 (Donte DiVincenzo),而他无法预判这些包夹似乎让他有些动摇,他变成了一个失误机器,并强行进行了一些非常不明智的投篮。但最能说明问题的是,在过去的两场比赛中,他似乎完全拒绝出手,因为卡斯尔和瓦塞尔同样严密地限制了他。至少对我来说,这是一件非常非常大的事情,雷霆和(潜在的)尼克斯也都有能力利用我之前担心的那个致命弱点。这两支球队现在都必须想办法在面对马刺时解决这个问题。
  • 事实证明,当马刺的三名后卫合力砍下 68 分且效率极高时,圣安东尼奥就会变成一辆绝对的战车。这场比赛再次完美地证明了为什么这三名后卫对马刺的作为至关重要,以及他们如何能彻底瓦解拥有联盟顶级护筐者和外线防守者的防线。抛开之前所有的详细阐述和保留意见,如果马刺经常这样做,那么对手是谁都无关紧要。文班为这些后卫拉开了所有空间,而每一个人都足够独特,能给防守带来不同的挑战,从而又反过来为文班和外线狙击手创造机会。斯蒂芬·卡斯尔在这场比赛中简直不可阻挡,而另外两名后卫各种犀利的外线突破让明尼苏达的防守者在第二节中段就开始“疑神疑鬼”,只有一连串的失误和防守错误才让森林狼真正回到了比赛中。
  • 卡特·布莱恩特 (Carter Bryant) 身上有一件很有趣的事情:当我在场上看到他时,即使他的投篮动作看起来很别扭,他看起来也很棒;然后他在技术统计表上显示出的东西少得令人困惑;接着他在高阶数据中看起来又几乎一样出色。目前他的比赛中有些东西是无法轻易传达的,但在干脏活和拼抢方面,他一直处于卢克·科内特 (Luke Kornet) 的水平。他在像吃了能量豆的吃豆人一样疯狂抓下篮板的同时,也给兰德尔和爱德华兹带来了麻烦。如果他在休赛期练出了投篮,我愿意大胆预测,他可能会变成另一位带着别扭投篮和惊人运动能力来到马刺的前锋的合理翻版。按照布莱恩特进步的速度,马刺甚至不需要在选秀中考虑“最佳人选”以外的因素。虽然他的光芒被同为新秀的迪伦·哈珀 (Dylan Harper)(我个人喜欢称他为“黑暗的左手”)那庄严的沉稳和动作所掩盖,但对于一个出场时间相对较少的人来说,他在季后赛中的表现令人震惊。我认为这次选秀可能会成为马刺历史上最成功的选秀之一。

离场曲目 – 今晚的主题曲:

All I Wanna Do is Play Cards —— Corb Lund

由生成式 AI 翻译,译文内容可能不准确或不完整,以原文为准。

点击查看原文:What we learned from the Spurs series-clinching beatdown of the Minnesota Timberwolves

What we learned from the Spurs series-clinching beatdown of the Minnesota Timberwolves

I was seven years old when my father first taught me how to play blackjack.

Whether that is a particularly normal thing to teach a child of that age is perhaps a conversation for another time, but it is, for me, a formative and happy childhood memory.

Having spent the better part of a week vacationing at my father’s boss’s coastal vacation home, we were beginning to run out of card games to play. Old Maid, Go Fish, Kings In the Corner, Spades, Cheat, Spoons, and Uno had all been played ad nauseam, and the beach-house (very purposely) lacked a television set, much less a VCR.

We had only ourselves, and our diversions, and the ocean at the shore. It was, in retrospect, a remarkably lo-fi moment in our lives, preceding the technological onslaught to come.

We read books out loud, and wrestled on the living room floor, and spent time on the beach until our burgeoning sunburns drove us back inside like vampires fleeing the dawn. We marinated in the scent of spices and fresh crustacean boiling in the cavernous kitchen, and sprawled about the dining room table telling all the jokes we knew, and making up worse ones. And then, after the meal, it was down to business.

“Remember, the dealer has to take a hit on 16 or lower”, my father reminded me, as I asked for a somewhat inadvisable hit on a 17 of my own.

“What’s a hard 17 again?”

“A 17 with no aces.”

“Oh, I have an ace. What does that mean?”

“That means you have a soft 17. Your ace can be an 11 or a 1.”

“It’s a 1 if I go over, right?”

“Right. But right now I’m showing a 6, which mean I’ll probably have to take a hit unless I have an ace too.”

“Because the dealer has to stand on 17, right?”

“In our game, yes. But not in all games. In our game, if I have an ace, we’ll push. We’ll tie.”

“I don’t wanna tie. I wanna win. I want a card.”

The card came off the deck and revealed itself as a 2.

“Ok, that’s 19. Do you want to stay?”

“The next card will be high, right?”

“Maybe. It’s not looking good for me.”

“Yeah, I’ll stay.”

My father flipped his second card. It was also an ace.

“Well, that’s 17. I have to stay.”

“I win?”

“Yep. But only in our game. In a casino maybe not. I’d get to take another hit.”

“Good thing we’re not at a casino.”

“Mhmm. And that it’s not your money. It’s harder when it’s your money.”

“How is it harder?”

“Well, do you have any money?”

“No. I spent it all.”

“I guess you’ll just have to find out one day.”

We spent the rest of the vacation playing blackjack when we were indoors, until I was certain I’d mastered the game. I knew when to take a hit. I knew when to stand. I’d gotten good at anticipating what might be coming based on what was on the board. It wasn’t card counting per se, but it was the best I’d ever been with numbers.

We ended up playing blackjack on a lot of subsequent vacations, and I was delighted to find in adulthood, in my first encounter with Las Vegas, that I’d retained the knoweldge.

Maybe that shouldn’t have been so surprising considering how I took to compiling and accumulating box scores in the years just after that first brush with Vingt-et-un.

I’d cut them out of newspapers the night after games (when the paper had been fully read) and keep them in my room, sometimes on my walls (like Tim Duncan’s Game 6 masterpiece against the New Jersey Nets), but more often in piles on the top of my dresser, or the tiny square of laminate ‘wood’ with legs that I called a desk.

It felt like there was more information than the information I was getting, as I tracked the ups-and-downs of important Spurs players in my spiral notebooks. Having gone through much of my mother’s storage, I suspect that they are long-lost at this point, but I still fantasize about finding the notebook that I dedicated to Stephen Jackson, Malik Rose, and Speedy Claxton, as I tried to figure out which one the Spurs should make an effort to keep.

I’m not 100% sure why these were the memories that San Antonio’s thrashing of the Minnesota Timberwolves triggered for me. I was certain that the game was over halfway through third quarter, in the midst of the 3rd straight 36+ point frame from the Silver and Black, just on the conscious side of dozing with the comforting weight of my daughter sleeping on my chest.

(Her sole contribution before passing out was to remark that 100 is a big number)

With every closing flicker of my own eyelids came a memory. With every opening, the massacre of reality.

How am I going to write about this? Do I just say that everyone played well?

I mean, they really did. Kelly Olynyk, Jordan McLaughlin, and Lindy Waters III all played two thirds of the fourth quarter. Only one member of the regular rotation played more than 27 minutes.

With eight minutes left in the game and a 30 point deficit, the valiant but ailing Anthony Edwards personally congratulated Spurs players before retiring to rest his banged-up knees for next season, the opposite of the comportment of the extra-physical ‘Jordan Rule’ Pistons that they were sometimes exasperatingly compared to at the start of the series.

In the end they were more paper tigers than the superstar thwarters so many outside the fan-base had hoped they’d be. Whether by dint of injury and/or inferior roster flexibility, they were forced to stand on 17.

The Spurs were playing with house money, deeper and more advantageously capable of adjusting, and lacking a certain weight of expectation due to the seasons preceding this one.

And while I have spent most of this year’s postseason blowouts reminding myself and others not to put the cart before the horse, I couldn’t help but look ahead to the match-up on the horizon, and the reality that expectations are about to really and truly change.

Before the opening of the season, even the most ardent of Spurs supporters and journalists considered the Western Conference Finals to be the absolute and remotest peak on the horizon. Most agreed that avoiding the Play-In and defeating a first round opponent would be an acceptable and reasonable limit.

But now the Spurs are on the doorstep of a Finals appearance in Victor Wembanyama’s 3rd season, and facing a team they went 4-1 against in the regular season.

The rules have changed. All things considered, the Thunder are more flexible and more talented and healthier than the Timberwolves were, and just as (if not more) physical, with a habitually favorable whistle to boot.

The Spurs can’t count on them to stand on a soft 17. The Thunder are going to take the hit. They’re going to have home-court advantage. They’re the house, and the house has the odds in their favor.

It’s almost guaranteed that the Spurs will have to make the exactly right play at the exactly right time, and this time, they won’t be able to afford the lapses they had against the Trailblazers and the Timberwolves.

They are no longer playing with house money. The cost will be their own, and that of the city that supports them. A loss here might haunt them, and that can go two very different ways. They’re too young to know better, and I sincerely hope that they get to stay that way.

Playing in Vegas with my own cash at stake, I found myself second-guessing moves that I would never have thought about twice in the past. It was money that I had set aside for exactly that purpose, but the brain can have expectations in direct opposition to that of the nervous system in the same way that Spurs fans can intellectually hold reasonable perspectives about how this team has exceeded all expectations and still become unmoored by the not-unreasonable desire for more.

It’s strange to be experiencing this all over again at the age I am now. I’ve seen variations of this story play out before, and I can see most of the plot points before they arrive, and yet it’s somehow a new experience all over again, except that now instead of the youth being soothed by the experience of the adults on the court, I find myself carrying hopefully anxiety for the prosperity of youth. I wonder how much more of my life will become that way.

And yet, I find that the wonderful chaos of this season and postseason has revealed itself as an ace in a soft 17.

Hit me. I’m ready for whatever card is next.

Takeways

  • We have to talk about the masterclass that Stephon Castle and Devin Vassell put on against Julius Randle in this series. Prior to the series, Randle was the obvious mismatch for a Spurs team that struggles with size at Power-Forward specifically. My thought was that the Spurs should let Randle shoot himself into a hole while the Spurs spent most of their time and energy on Ant Edwards. And there’s a reason that I’m not coaching in the NBA, because Sean Sweeney pulled out his previous playbook against the Wolves, and decided to alternate sending doubles at both of them. This was incredibly affective against Randle, who had lost his favorite passing target in Donte DiVincenzo against Denver, and his inability to anticipate these doubles seemed to shake him somewhat, as he was a turnover machine and forced some very ill-advised shots. But, most tellingly, he seemed to decline taking shots at all over the last two games, as Castle and Vassell smothered him in equal measure. This was, at least to me, a big, big deal, with teams in the Thunder and (potentially) the Knicks also being capable of exploiting what I was previously concerned would be a fatal flaw. Both of those teams are now going to have to figure out a way to deal with that when/if they face the Spurs.
  • As it turns out, when the Spurs three guards combine for 68 points very efficient points, San Antonio becomes an absolute juggernaut. This game served as yet another perfect example of why all three of these guards are critical to what the Spurs can do, and how they can absolutely unravel defenses with some of the best rim-protectors and perimeter defenders in the league. All previous elaboration and hedging aside, if the Spurs do this regularly, it just will not matter who they’re matched up with. Wemby opens up everything for these guards, and each one is different enough to pose varying challenges for the defense in such a way that it opens it right back up for Wemby and the perimeter snipers. Stephon Castle was absolutely irresistible in this one, but the filthy varieties of perimeter penetration from the other two had Minnesota’s defenders seeing ghosts by the middle of the second quarter, and only a spate of turnovers and defensive mistakes really let the Wolves back in the game at all.
  • Carter Bryant has this really funny thing going on, where when I see him on the court, he looks amazing even when his shot looks awkward, and then shows confusingly little in the box score, and then looks almost as amazing in the advanced stats. There are some thing about his game right now that don’t easily convey, but he’s been on Luke Kornet’s level when it comes to doing the dirty work and making the effort play, and he gave both Randle and Edwards trouble while gobbling up rebounds like Pac-Man after eating a power-pellet. If that shot comes along in the off-season, I’m willing to go out an a limb and say that he could transform into a reasonable facsimile of another forward who came to the Spurs with an awkward shot and staggering athleticism. The Spurs don’t even need to draft outside of best pick available at the rate that Bryant is improving. He’s overshadowed by the majestic poise and maneuvers of fellow rookie Dylan Harper (who I personally like to refer to as ‘The Left Hand of Darkness’), but he’s doing shocking work in the postseason for someone who got very little playing time comparatively-speaking, and I think this draft could go down as one of the best in Spurs history.

Playing You Out – The Theme Song of the Evening:

All I Wanna Do is Play Cards by Corb Lund

By Devon Birdsong, via Pounding The Rock

热评

由生成式 AI 翻译,译文内容可能不准确或不完整,以原文为准。

点击查看原文:

via Pounding The Rock