罗宾德拉纳德.泰戈尔(,1861-1941),享誉世界的印度诗人,小说家,思想家.他生于孟加拉一个富有哲学和文学修养的贵族家庭,8岁就学着写诗,并展露出非凡的天赋,13岁时就能创作长诗和颂歌体诗,1878年赴英国留学,1880年回国后专门从事文选写作.1912年,泰戈尔自译的英文版<吉檀迦利>出版,轰动了整个世界.1913年他因该诗集荣获诺贝尔文学奖,从此跻身于世界文坛.
泰戈尔一生共写了50多部诗集,其中最著名的有<吉檀迦利>,<飞鸟集>,<园丁集>,<新月集>,<采果集>等.另外他还创作了12部中长篇小说,100多篇短篇小说,20多部剧本以及大量的文学,哲学,政治论著.
摘录:
Do not linger to gather flowers to keep them, but walk on, for flowers will keep themselves blooming all your way.
只管走过去,不必逗留着采了花朵来保存,因为一路上花朵自会继续开放的。
Not hammer-strokes, but dance of the water sings the pebbles into perfection.
不是槌的打击,乃是水的载歌载舞,使鹅卵石臻于完美。
Let me think that there is one among those stars that guides my life through the dark unknown.
让我设想,在群星之中,有一颗星是指导着我的生命通过不可知的黑暗的。
Gaps are left in life through which comes the sad music of death.
生命里留了许多罅隙,从中送来了死之忧郁的音乐。
Stray birds of summer come to my window to sing and fly away.
And yellow leaves of autumn, which have no songs, flutter and fall there with a sigh.
夏天的飞鸟,来到我的窗前,歌唱,又飞走了.
秋天的黄叶,它们没有什么曲子可唱,一声叹息,飘落在地上.
One troupe of little vagrants of the world, leave your footprints in my words.
世界上一队小小的流浪者啊,在我的字里行间留下你们的足迹吧!
The world puts off its mask of vastness to its lover.
It becomes small as one song, as one kiss of the eternal.
世界对着它的爱人,扯下它那庞大的面具.
它变小了,小得宛如一首歌,小得宛如一个永恒的吻.
It is the tears of the earth that keep her smiles in bloom.
大地的泪珠,使她的微笑如鲜花般盛开.
The mighty desert is burning for the love of a blade of grass who shakes her head and laughs and flies away.
广袤的沙漠,狂热追求一叶绿草的爱,但她笑着摇摇头,飞走了.
If you shed tears when you miss the sun, you also miss the stars.
如果你因错过太阳而哭泣,那么你也会错过群星了.
The sands in your way beg for your song and your movement, dancing water.
Will you carry the burden of their lameness?
舞动着的流水啊,在你途中的泥沙,正乞求你的歌声,你的舞蹈呢!你是否肯背负跛足的泥沙向前奔腾?
Her wishful face haunts my dreams like the rain at night.
她热切的脸,如夜晚的雨水,萦绕在我的梦中.
The road is lonely in its crowd for it is not loved.
道路虽然拥挤,却是寂寞的,因为它是不被爱的。
The false can never grow into truth by growing in power.
虚伪永远不能凭借它生长在权力中而变成真实。
Some unseen fingers, like an idle breeze, are playing upon my heart the music of the ripples.
一些看不见的手指,如慵懒的微风,在我心上奏出潺潺的乐章.
"What language is thine, O sea?"
"The language of eternal question."
"What language is thy answer, O sky?"
"The language of eternal silence."
"大海啊,你说的是什么?"
"是永远的质疑."
"天空啊,你回答的是什么?"
"是永恒的沉默."
"I cannot keep your waves," says the bank to the river,"let me keep your footprint in my heart."
河岸对河流说:"我留不住你的浪花,就让我把你的足迹留在心里吧."
Do not seat your love upon a precipice because it is high.
不要因为峭壁的高耸,而让你的爱情坐在上面.
Dream is a wife who must talk,
Sleep is a husband who silently suffers.
梦是一个一定要谈话的妻子。
睡眠是一个默默忍受的丈夫。
I sit at my window this morning where the world like a passer-by stops for a moment, nods to me and goes.
今天清晨,我坐在窗前,世界就如一个过客,稍歇片刻,向我点点头,便走了.
There little thoughts are the rustle of leaves; they have their whisper of joy in my mind.
这些零碎的思想,是树叶沙沙之声;它们在我的心头,欢快地低语着.
What you are you do not see, what you see is your shadow.
你看不见自己,你所见到的只是自己的影子.
My wishes are fools, they shout across thy song, my master.
Let my but listen.
主啊,我的那些愿望真是傻透了,它们喧闹着穿过你的歌声.
只让我聆听吧.
The lamp of meeting burns long; it goes out in a moment at the parting.
集会时的灯光,点了很久,会散时,灯便立刻灭了。
The night kisses the fading day whispering to his ear, I am death,
your mother. I am to give you fresh birth.
夜与逝去的日子接吻,轻轻地在他耳旁说道:“我是死,是你的母亲。我就要给你以新的生命。
We live in this world when we love it.
我们在热爱世界时便生活在这世界上。
Tha I exist is a perpetual surprise which is life.
我的存在,是一个永恒的惊奇,这就是人生.
Rest belongs to the work as the eyelids to the eyes.
休憩之于工作,正如眼睑之于眼睛.
Man is a child, his power is the power of growth.
人是一个初生的孩子,成长是他的力量.
Wrong cannot afford defeat but Right can.
谬论经不起失败,但真理却不怕失败.
WE read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.
我们看错了世界,反而说它欺骗了我们.
Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.
每个孩子出生时都带来了讯息---上帝对人类并未灰心失望.
The grass seeks her crowd in the earth.
The tree seeks his solitude of the sky.
小草在地上寻觅伴侣.
树木在天空寻觅寂寞.
Man barracades against himself.
人类时常对自己筑起堤防.
Let this be my last word, that I trust thy love.
“我相信你的爱。”让这句话做我的最后的话。
The scabbard is content to be dull when it protects the keenness of the sword.
刀鞘在保护刀的锋利时,自己也满足于它的驽钝.
The echo mocks her origin to prove she is the original.
回声讥笑她的原声,借以证明她是原声.
Asks the Possible to the Impossible, "Where is your dwelling place?"
"In the dreams of the impotent," comes the answer.
"可能"问"不可能":
"你住在哪里?"
它回答道:"在那无能者的梦里."
If you shut your door to all errors, truth will be shut out.
如果你把所有的错误拒之门外,那么真理也会被关在外面.
To be outspoken is easy when you do not wait to speak the complete truth.
当你不想说出完全的真理时,畅所欲言是轻而易举的.
By plucking her petals you do not gather the beauty of the flower.
摘下花瓣,并不能得到花的美丽.
The canal loves to think that rivers exist solely to supply it with water.
沟渠总是认为,河流的存在,只为供给它水流.
Silence will carry your voice.
沉默蕴涵着言语.
You smiled and talked to me of nothing and I felt that for this I had been waiting long.
你对我微笑着,沉默不语.我觉得,为了这个,我已等待很久.
The bird wishes it were a cloud.
The cloud wishes it were a bird.
The world rushes on over the strings of the lingering heart making the music of sadness.
Do not blame your food because you have no appetite.
God find himself by creating.
The stars are not afraid to appear like fireflies.
Life is given to us, we earn it by giving it.
We come nearest to the great when we are in humility.
God says to man, " I heal you therefore I hurt you, love you therefore punish."
I cannot choose the best.
The best chooses me.
By touching you may kill, by keeping away you may process.
PS:以上仅仅是本人在看《飞鸟集》时摘录的一些句子。
在百度上查了一下,发现有不少网站有泰戈尔的作品集,这里有一个连接,有兴趣的同学可以看看
http://www.hornbill.cdc.net.my/wg/tagore/